#GIRLBOSS - The business book for ambitious young women

Apr 26, 2016



After almost a year without reading (yes, I know, shame on me) I suddenly felt like reading dozens of books. But being in Japan, it is obviously quite hard to find interesting books either in french or english. The book stores are usually filled up with old classic that to be honest are not really my cup of tea. So when I came across #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso, I picked it up right away. It was the last one in the shop, and I had a bit of a panic moment when I realized I didn't have enough cash with me to pay for it. So I obviously hide it in between some children books far far away from its normal place on the business book shelf, ran to the closest ATM and came back to the bookstore. Hopefully it was still there, waiting for me. Wait, am I the only one hiding stuff and going back to pick them up later? I guess normal person might ask the staff to keep them on the side ... 

Meh. Back to the book, I guess you have heard of it before, but it is basically the story of Sophia Amoroso, now ex-CEO of Nasty Gal. I picked this book because I am at a point in my life where I am asking myself a lot of questions about my future and I was hoping this book might help me find some answers, and well I won't say this book changed my entire life, but I was truly inspired and motivated by this women story. To be honest, while reading the book I was making sure to always have a notebook close to me to pick up her best advice on life and business.  And she gives quite a lot. She provides some precious advice on resume or job interviews for exemple that might be really good for anyone looking for a job. 

The book is full of very inspiring quotes by Sophia such as "You don't have to chose between smart and sexy, you can have both, you are both".


I might have pick up another one, some of you might think this one is quite superficiual, but let me just tell you that I am an anti dress code kind of person. I like to wear what I want and I hate people judging other on what they wear so this one really spoke to me and I am especially sick of women being judge for being too sexy at work. We're in 2016 dude, if a women wants to wear 10cm heels at work, well let her do. I especially love the intro and the very first part of the book as well as the part with financial advices. Being a young adult, money is something that I sometimes struggle with. And, being a girl that love shopping and make up I am in a phase where I am learning the hard way where I should splurge and when I have to stop myself and this book really helped me to manage my money much better. 

WHAT IT REMINDED ME : Keep on working hard, no matter how complicated it can be and how many shitty jobs I will have before finding the one (I guess the same goes for boyfriend in that case right?) you have to keep working, remembering what is your final goal. No job is really shitty, you can learn and be creative all the time, in any jobs you will have.

WHAT IT TAUGH ME : How to manage my money a little better. I now think twice before buying anything, and I have real categories for my savings and what I can or can't use them for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment